With a great apology to all my followers! I have been fighting a virus since Christmas Eve and it has finally passed! Recently I’ve been sleeping almost 12 hours a day, so if you or a loved one is fighting a cold or virus here are some tips to staying healthy without sacrificing your gains. Here are a few ways I found helpful to getting better:
- Eat fruits and veggies filled with vitamin C:
- Vitamin C helps with your immune system, here are a list of 14 fruits and vegetables chock full of Vitamin C from health.com.
- Or if you have a hard time eating fruits and veggies, go to your local drug store and get vitamin C tablets, I typically use Emergen- C it helps nip the virus or cold in the bud before it starts.
- Your body’s immune system is fighting the virus and could take up to 10 days to fully get out of your system. If you continue to work or workout, it just sets back the days to feeling better so rest up! Plus you don’t want to get your friends and coworkers sick. Be a little self-less
- Keep tissues by your bedside.
- You are most likely going to be blowing your nose, A LOT, so keep your tissues stocked. Puffs Plus has lotion in them to keep your nose from drying up. I find them the most helpful.
- Stay clean
- Yes, you should shower or even take a hot bath to relax. Amazing facts has a list of 17 ways to get better and claims to take a contrast shower alternating between hot and cold. This increases your blood cells and can be helpful to your immune system.
- Use antibacterial soap, this will stop the spread of bacterial germs.
- Avoid Dairy
- Dairy can worsen symptoms making you produce more mucus. cut out cheeses, milk and yogurt
Hope these tips help, if you are trying to put on weight, a virus can be detrimental to that goal, but as soon as you are healthier you can gradually ease your way back into putting on muscle weight. If you are like me and trying to lose weight, this is actually in a sick way (no pun intended) helpful to your goal. After you are better ease your way back into everyday activity, the virus can come back if you go back into the full swing of your daily routine too quickly. Don’t forget to wash your bed sheets, blankets and anything you have touched during your sickness, you don’t want to regress and go back to being sick. Stay healthy!
Photo Credit: Joan Valencia- Sick